Wednesday, March 10, 2010

RELISH... AGAIN!!!

Rebecca and I got take out from Relish (Menaul, west of Wyoming) again today. This place is just so awesome that I can't stay away. Today I decided to try something new, which is unusual for me. Usually I find something that I really like at a place and stick to it. If you really like a dish from a restaurant and you order something else, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. The new dish is rarely as good as your favorite entree. However, I have mixed feelings about today's decision. I went with the Spicy Muffaletta, which was really good, but I don't think it's as good as the Cubano. On the other hand, I did eat the entire thing, so I must have liked it.

The name Muffaletta comes from the name of the bread that the sandwich is served on. It's a circular shaped loaf that is very similar to focaccia bread. I'm pretty sure that the sandwich originated in New Orleans, but I may be wrong on that... The Spicy Muffaletta at Relish is made up of provolone and swiss cheeses, genoa salami, maple ham, sweet and spicy coppacola (or Gabagool if your name is Tony Soprano), pepperoni, artichoke tapenade (this is a variation of the olive salad that distinguishes the sandwich as a "Muffaletta") and garlic-chile sauce served on muffaletta bread.

Relish is great at taking a classic sandwich and putting their own delicious spin on it; the Spicy Muffaletta is no exception. It's flavor is a little rich, so don't expect to eat the whole thing, unless you like feeling sick at your desk the rest of the afternoon. It has tons of green olives on it, so if you're like Rebecca and don't like olives, this sandwich is probably not for you. I've been to Relish about five times now and have never been disappointed with my meal. I definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment