Monday, March 8, 2010

Two Fools Tavern

First of all, sorry for the poor image quality. The iPhone is great for many things, but indoor pictures at night is not one of them. This beautiful creature is the "Babe in a Bun" from Two Fools Tavern. It's my second favorite sandwich from there. I decided not to go with my favorite (The Perky Turkey) because almost every sandwich that I've talked about so far has had green chili and I don't want to typecast myself as only a green chili sandwich lover. As long as there is meat between two slices of bread, I'm a fan.

Two Fools is a great place to go any night of the week, but it's my favorite place to go to after indoor soccer games. All of our games are on Tuesday nights and usually pretty late in the evening. It's pretty much impossible to play indoor soccer within four hours of eating a meal, so I usually wait to eat dinner until after the game. I've made this mistake a few times and it usually ends with me puking between a Civic and a Subaru in the parking lot, which is not a pretty sight. Two Fools is just a few blocks from where we play, so it makes for the perfect post-game meal. Within minutes of arriving at the bar, my thirst is quenched with my after game ritual of a pint of ice water and a pint of Boddington's; double-fisting at it's finest. Two Fools is a hot spot for post-game drinks. Evenings are the prime time for softball and rugby teams, while Saturday afternoons belong to the Ultimate Frisbee players.

After a pint and a half of Boddington's, I've had enough with the foreplay and it's time for what I really came for... a Sandwich. The Babe in a Bun is made of slow roasted pork smothered in Guiness Barbecue sauce (yes, that's right, I said GUINESS Barbecue sauce). It's topped off with an apple coleslaw. When I first spotted this sandwich on the menu, the slaw put me off a bit. "How could apples taste good on a BBQ sandwich," I asked myself. I ordered it anyway and to my surprise, it was the perfect mixture of crunch and sweetness to counter the the spice and tang of the barbecue sauce. All of this is served on toasted French bread and your choice of fries, coleslaw or potato salad. The fries and the potato salad are both amazing, but if you're in the mood for something a little different, substitute a cup of Guiness stew for your side. It's worth the $1.50 up charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment